The Manga Taisho Award (also known as Manga grand prize) is an annual event that has been held in Japan since 2008 and is attributed to the manga industry. The prizes are awarded by a special committee made up of eighty-nine members from various specialist bookshops. Recently and during a live broadcast, Tokyo Manga Reviewers revealed the results of this year's edition.
This year's edition was won by the manga written and illustrated by Naoya Matsumoto, Kaijuu 8-Gou ((Monster # 8) published through the service Shonen Jump Plus from the publisher Shueisha since July 2020. The publisher has so far published a total of two compilation volumes.
Results of Manga Taisho Award 2021
- Kaijuu 8-Gou ((Monster # 8), to the Naoya Matsumoto.
- Sousou no freezing, to the Kanehito Yamada Y. Tsukasa Abe.
- Chi - Chikyuu no Undou nor Tsuite, to the Uoto.
- Onna no Sono no Hoshi, to the Yama Wayama.
- Kowloon Generic Romance, to the Jun Mayuzuki.
- Karaoke Iko!, to the Yama Wayama.
- Oshi no Ko, to the Aka Akasaka Y. Mengo Yokoyari.
- Manshuu Ahen Squad, to the Monma Tsukasa Y. Shikako.
- My broken Mariko, to the Hirako Waka.
- Go happy mania, to the Anno Moyoco.
- Teigaki-sei otto no Kodzukai Banzai - Getsugaku 2 men senen no Kinketsu Raifu, to the Kouji Yoshimoto.
- The unwomanly face of war, to the Svetlana Alesiévitch Y. Keito Koume.
- Munou no taka, to the Asami Hanzaki.
- Boukyou Tarou to the Yoshihiro Yamada.
- This crocodile will die in 100 days, to the Yuuki Kikuchi.
- Math Golden, to the Tatsuhiko Kuramaru.
- Funsou deshitara Hatta made, to the The Motohiro.
- Medalist, to the Ikada Tsuruma.
- Kimi no Koto ga Dai Dai Dai Dai Daisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo, to the Rikitio Nakamura Y. Yukiko Nozawa.
- Me & Roboco, to the Shuuhei Miyazaki.
Kaijuu 8-gou synopsis
Grotesque Godzilla-like monsters called "Kaijuu" have appeared in Japan for many years. To fight these beasts, an elite military unit known as the Defense Corps risks their lives every day to protect the civilian population. Once a creature dies, what remains are the "sweepers" who work under the Kaijuu Professional Cleaning Corporation to dispose of its remains.
Kafka Hibino, a 32-year-old man, is not satisfied with his job as a street sweeper. From a young age he aspired to join the Defense Corps and kill Kaijuus to make a living. However, after a few unsuccessful attempts, he gave up his dreams and indulged in the mediocrity that earned him a decent salary. However, when an ambitious 18-year-old recruit named Leno Ichikawa joins his cleaning crew, Kafka recalls his desire to join the military.
After a chain of unfortunate events and an interaction with the young street sweeper, Kafka encounters a parasitic-type Kaijuu who finds its way through his mouth and transforms him into a humanoid monster. With his new strength, Kafka wants to give his lifelong dream one last shot.
Source: WSJ manga