On the official Twitter account for the anime adaptation of the manga, written and illustrated by Junji Itō, Uzumaki (Uzumaki: Spiral into horror) a press release was issued announcing that the project will be delayed again as the production team needs more time to reproduce the quality of the manga's intricate designs and detailed linework. The team added that they don't want to compromise the quality of the series and deliver a "lackluster end product."
The statement wrote:
- Thank you for your interest and positive feedback on our Uzumaki anime adaptation. Unfortunately, the premiere date of the series has to be postponed again.
- In order to reproduce the quality of the intricate designs and detailed lines of Itou-san's classic manga, director Nagahama and the production team asked for more time to properly recreate Itou's masterpiece.
- While we aim to get this series available to the public as soon as possible, we don't want to compromise quality by delivering a lackluster end product.
- We remain fully committed to completing this work at the highest level. We'll come back with a firm release date once we're confident this adaptation is as good as we know it can be. Thank you for your continued patience and support.
In fact, the series was supposed to premiere in 2020 and in July of the same year it was announced that it would be delayed until 2021, followed by a delay announced in June 2021. The four-episode mini-series is scheduled to air via programming bricks toonami before the official release in Japan. For its part, the manga previously inspired a live-action film adaptation starring the main cast Eriko Hatsun Y Fan Fhipublished in 2000.
- Uki Satake as Kyrie Goshima.
- Miki Shinichiro as Shuichi Saito.
- Toshio Furukawa like Kirie's father.
- Takashi Matsuyama as Shuichi's father.
- Mika Doi as Yukie Saito.
- Maria Ise as Azami Kurotami.
- Katsuhoshi Matsuzaki like Katyama.
- Wataru Hatano like Okada.
- Tatsumaru Tachibana like Tsumura.
- Koichi Toochika like Yokota.
- Ami Fukushima like Shiho.
- Hiroshi Nagahama (Mushi Shi) is responsible for directing the anime at the studios journey.
- Colin Stetson composes the soundtrack.
- The studies Production IG USA and the programming block adults swim co-produced this adaptation.
Summary of Uzumaki
In the town of Kurouzu-cho, Kirie Goshima lives a relatively normal life with his family. However, one day when she went to the train station to meet her boyfriend Shuuichi Saito, she notices her father staring at a snail shell in an alleyway. Without thinking much about it, Kirie tells Shuuichi about the situation, to which he replies that his father was also acting very strangely. Shuuichi also reveals his desire to flee the village with Kirie, claiming that people are possessed by spirals. But her father's obsession soon turns fatal, beginning a chain of horrific and inexplicable events.
Font: Official Twitter account
© 伊藤潤二 / 小学館 / Production IG