On the official site for the animated adaptation of the manga, written and illustrated by Souichiro Yamamoto, Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru (When will Ayumu make his move?) the second promotional video of the project was released. The video confirms that it is scheduled to premiere on July 7 on Japanese TV and shows a fragment of the opening theme titled "Kakehiki wa poker face“ and performed by Kana Hanazawa.
Yamamoto began publishing the manga as a webcomic titled Shougi no Yatsu in 2018 and via his personal Twitter account. Subsequently, its publication by the magazine began Weekly Shōnen Magazine from the publisher Kodansha in March 2019. He is also the author of the manga Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san (Teasing from Master Takagi-san), which he publishes through the magazine Monthly Shōnen Sunday out of Shogakukan since June 2013.
- Youhei Azakami like Ayumu Tanaka.
- Kanna Nakamura as Urushi Yaotome.
- Tsubasa Gouda as Takeru Kakuryuu.
- Hina Youmiya as Sakurako Mikage.
- Haruna Mikawa as Rin Kagawa.
- Kana Hanazawa like Maki.
- Mirai Minato (Masamune-kun no Revenge, Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Kayou, Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu) is responsible for directing the anime at the studios SILVER LINK.
- Deco Akao (Noragami, Akagami no Shirayuki-hime, Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu) is responsible for writing and supervising the screenplays.
- Kazuya Hirata (Steins;Gate, Toradora!, Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha) is responsible for character design.
Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru Summary
On a whim, first-year Ayumu Tanaka leaves the kendo club to join the illegitimate shogi club. Urushi Yaotome, club president and shogi master, is overjoyed to have finally found a playing partner. As Ayumus Senpai, Urushi aspires to be her shogi mentor and model student. Too often, however, he blushes with embarrassment! With a fairly honest face, Ayumu sees no problem in calling her "cute" and while his feelings are obvious, he holds her back from confessing, promising himself that he will beat her in a game of shogi first.
Through their school life and shogi games, the two students will have many fun and heartwarming adventures. Ayumu enjoys every second with Urushi, but is far from beating her in a game of shogi. Given the commitment he has made to himself, will Ayumu ever get a chance to confess his feelings to Urushi?
Source: press release