In Japan, manga is such an institution that it deserves the creation of various special prizes and categories of special importance. After seeing the candidates for the Taisho Prize with Monster No. 8 and many other young talents, the nominations for the Osamu Tezuka Culture Prize have also arrived. with Jujutsu Kaisen and other listed works.
On Asahi Shimbun's nine nominations for the 25th Osamu Tezuka Cultural Awardthat continues to remind of the god of the manga every year.
- Aono-kun ni Sawaritai kara Shinitai - Umi Shiina;
- Kashikokute Yūki Aru Kodomo - Miki Yamamoto;
- Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Koyoharu Gotouge;
- Jujutsu Kaisen - Gege Akutami;
- Sousou no Frieren - story: Kanehito Yamada, drawings: Tsukasa Abe;
- Bara wa Shulaba de Umareru [70 Nendai Shōjo Manga Assistant] Funtōki - Nami Sasō;
- Peleliu: Rakuen no Guernica - Kazuyoshi Takeda;
- The promised Neverland - Story: Kaiu Shirai, drawings: Posuka Demizu;
- Country - Kazumi Yamashita;
This year's jury consists of Osamu Akimoto (author of Kochikame), Kazuki Sakuraba (author of Gosick), Machiko Satonaka (author of Pia no Shozo and Karyudo no Seiza), Minami Takahashi, the writer and Professor Yukiko Tomiyama, the Professor Shohei Chujo, the critic Nobunaga Minami, the comedian and mangaka Taro Yabe, the editor of Asahi Shimbun Katsu Tsunoda and the director of culture and life Tomoko Kochi.
The judges selected these nine participants, among whom we again see a large presence from Weekly Shonen Jump Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer and The Promised Neverland. However, Sousou no Frieren is also returning, yet another candidacy this year despite his very young age. We're also reviewing Chainsaw Man's win and all of the 2021 Kono Manga ga Sugoi nominations.