The production company Doga Kobo announced the production of a new original anime titled Jellyfish cannot swim at night (Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai), The It will be released in Japan in 2024.. According to the statement, it is a special project to celebrate the studio's 50th anniversary.
The press release included comments from the production:
- Ryouhei Takeshita (Director): This boy with lots of friends, this cute girl, this rich guy... Every day when I check social media, I see glimpses of others and compare myself to who I am right now and feel depressed... In this era of comparisons, this project is original, created with the simple idea "I want to find what I like". Together with the protagonists of this series, we gradually developed a story to answer the question "What is my favorite thing in the whole world?". Today I sit at my table and sincerely hope that it will reach the hearts of many people.
- Yuki Yaku (screenwriter): In today's world, where recognition is more important than money, the number of likes is apparently more valuable than savings. A TikTok streamer who flaunts huge amounts of money and talks about how rich he is gets nothing but negative comments, while a comedian who keeps losing money gambling and turning his own debt into laughter gets a flood of positive and received admiring comments. Few people would answer the former if asked which ones they admire the most, and neither do I. The girls in this anime are torn between who they want to be and what they see around them - between "like" and "approve" - and they strive to be creative. No, maybe few people really know who they want to be.
- JELLE the original story is credited while Ryouhei Takeshita (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii, Eromanga Sensei) is responsible for directing the anime at the studios Doga Kobo.
- yuki yaku (Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun) is responsible for writing and supervising the screenplays.
- popman3580 Credit will be given for original designs Junichirou Taniguchi (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Prison School, GOSICK, Yesterday wo Utatte) is responsible for character design and animation direction.
Synopsis for Jellyfish Can't Swimming in the Night
"I want to find out what I like." Shibuya, a city full of identities. A girl who wanders around Shibuya Station at night and becomes nothing, begins to change after a special encounter with someone else. A coming-of-age story by Ryouhei Takeshita, director of "Eromanga Sensei" and Yuki Yaku, author of "Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun" presented by Doga Kobo, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary. Finally the creative and anonymous activities of the girls begin.
Spring: Weird Natalie