Due to a leak, the details of an interview with the editor of the manga were written and illustrated by Hajime isayama, Shingeki no kyojin (attack on Titan), Shintaro Kawakubowhere he revealed some details about the planning of the end of the work and Isayama's future as a writer.
- (This interview with Shintaro Kawakubo was conducted a week prior to the completion of the thirty-fourth compiled volume of the manga (including the additional pages from the final chapter).)
- Did the end of Shingeki no Kyojin go as planned from the beginning?
- So we planned the end of the piece from the start. The events in between were set during serialization, but how the main character would end the story was set from the start, and that didn't change. To be honest, Isayama has always written history with this in mind.
- Has the content of the story itself never changed?
- The content itself never changed, and although Isayama felt a great responsibility for it, he never thought of changing that ending.
- Did you think it was a revolutionary work when it started?
- He knew it would be a masterpiece when he was next to him, and he wrote in the headlines of the second or third volume that this is the path to the true Shonen manga of the 21st story of isolated people struggling for their freedom . As an editor, however, I did not, strictly speaking, consider it "revolutionary".
- Which part of the manga did Isayama have the most doubts about?
- The part where Sasha saves the girl. In the drafts, there was a story where Sasha actually died. But what had she died for at that point? I asked Isayama. He seemed concerned about this, so Sasha survived there in the end.
- Is there any chance a sequel or spin-off of Shingeki no Kyojin will be written?
- Not really. There is no reason for there to be continuation or derivative work. We have heard many requests from fans about this, but we regret to inform you that this is not possible. In fact, Isayama is pretty exhausted at the moment, so its next serialization has not yet been decided.
Summary by Shingeki no Kyojin
A century ago humans were facing extinction when an unbeatable and fearsome enemy emerged: the titans, giant monsters that devoured much of humanity and forced the few survivors to lock themselves behind high walls. Behind these walls stands Eren Jaeger, a boy who dreams of crossing them to see the outside world and who lives his everyday life with his parents, his adoptive sister Mikasa Ackerman and his friend Armin Arlert.
But one fateful day, humanity remembers its fate once again when a giant sixty-meter-long titan appears in front of the first line of walls that protect people from their most formidable enemy. So Eren, Mikasa and Armin lose their home and all hope, while our protagonist takes an oath: His goal in life will be to destroy all titans. Thus begins a story of survival and war in which your characters must solve the mystery behind the existence of these terrible beings.
© 諫 山 創 (著) / KODANSHA 講 談 社